The Premiere Site For Celebrity Plastic Surgery By A Real Plastic Surgeon

I'm a Michigan-based Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has been featured on Dr. 90210. The info here is my opinion alone and should not be taken as fact or as medical advice. I've not treated any of the celebrities presented here.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Liposuction Deaths in Arizona

A massage therapist performed a liposuction procedure in which a woman died.
A homeopathic physician who was denied a medical doctor's license by the state board did another procedure in which a patient died.
Others who performed cosmetic surgery did not have formal medical training, including a bookkeeper and a former restaurant owner.
(from the Arizona Republic)


These incidents occurred in the office of an Arizona-based internist/emergency physician who fancied himself a cosmetic surgeon . In this tragic piece of news, three people have died from complications of liposuction surgery at his clinic since December.

This sad case is an important reminder to everyone interested in plastic surgery to realize two facts:

1. Plastic surgery is serious. Make sure your plastic surgeon takes his or her job as seriously as it should be taken. While I make this blog for mainly entertainment purposes, I do take my job and caring for my patients very seriously. If your surgeon doesn't appear to have safety in mind, run away.
2. There are unfortunately a number of people masquerading as reputable plastic surgeons when in fact they are not plastic surgeons at all. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons has very stringent guidelines to which its members are held, so as to maintain a 'culture of safety.' This includes performing surgeries in an accredited setting.

For news articles on the Arizona liposuction deaths, click here and here and here
To visit the internist/ER doc/cosmetic surgeon's website, click here. (looks pretty legit, right?)
To visit the American Society of Plastic Surgeon's page on safety for outpatient surgery, click here.

As always, do your homework and research your surgeon. For any procedure, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Thanks for reading.
Michigan-based Plastic Surgeon
Anthony Youn, M.D.
:

4 comments:

Website Fusion Ads said...

Very well written article and nice website http://www.yankeeticketsforsale.com

Bongi said...

in my country recently there was a case of a general practitioner who did lipsuction on a patient with a bmi of 21. she also died. he is in deep water, but seems to show no remorse.

Anonymous said...

Nice articles, would love to read more of new stuff.. maybe if you get time visit my blog also
Self Improvement

The Patients Advantage said...

Great blog! Thanks. I recently had lasik surgery and by accident I stumbled upon www.thepatientsadvantage.com. I used them when looking for a lasik surgeon.
What I liked the most was that my profile remained anynomyous until I was ready to decide what to do. I received replies from four surgeons that met all the things I was looking for. I liked having that complete control without the sales pressure that some of these places can be known for.
If you are going to go down the cosmetic surgery road...better to be safe than sorry. Check them out.