The Premiere Site For Celebrity Plastic Surgery By A Real Plastic Surgeon

I'm a Michigan-based Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has been featured on Dr. 90210. The info here is my opinion alone and should not be taken as fact or as medical advice. I've not treated any of the celebrities presented here.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Gel Implants Are Back



The FDA has just lifted the 14 year ban on silicone gel breast implants. The moratorium was placed on these implants after numerous women came forward with what were believed to be arthritis and other diseases from gel implants. Subsequent large scale studies have not proven any connection between silicone gel implants and these "connective tissue diseases."
What's the difference between gel implants and saline implants? A lot. Prior to today, the U.S. was the only major industrialized country to ban the use of these implants. Gel implants feel and look much more realistic than saline implants. There is no comparison between the two cosmetically.

MEDIA: If you would like to speak with me about the subject of silicone gel breast implants, feel free to email me at miplasticsurgeon@yahoo.com or call my office at 248-650-1900 and have me paged if it is after hours.

Thanks for reading.
Michigan-based Plastic Surgeon
Anthony Youn, M.D.
:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, I was wondering how you'd respond to the news. Now if we could just get the cohesive gel implants past clinical trials, then we'd be in business. I'd actually be curious to know if cohesive gel is consistently superior to silicone in look and feel...

Dr. Tony Youn said...

Cohesive gel implants are much firmer than the more traditional "Memory gel" implants. They are best used for people with very little breast tissue, as the implant then creates the breast shape. They are made to stay in place, and not move much. Some women actually find them less realistic due to these factors. I use them sparingly, mostly in women with major breast deformities.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I'd be interested in cohesive gel implants if I was to get one. I want something with more fullness at the top, tho... maybe in a few years, there will be more options.

Anonymous said...

Oh, great! I've always planned to switch mine to silicone gel when it's time to replace them--the only thing I don't like about my saline ones is that they don't feel as nice as my friends' silicone. And now I don't have to go to Israel to have it done.

Anonymous said...

I have gotten breast implants and they leak and I am not the only one who has had this problem. I have a lot of friends on www.medsocial.com and they have all had it too. I say do not do it.

Anonymous said...

cohesive gels don't leave-they can't that's why their called 'cohesive'.
it means that should the surrounding shell rupture then instead of having silicone seeping out all over the inside of your body the cohesive gels stay in one place till the surgeon can remove them.

Anonymous said...

I've seen you do a lot of blogs about implants, but what about breast reduction?
What are your options if you're seeking breast reduction, and how do you know it's right for you? I'd love to see you write something about that.