The Premiere Site For Celebrity Plastic Surgery By A Real Plastic Surgeon

I'm a Michigan-based Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has been featured on Dr. 90210. The info here is my opinion alone and should not be taken as fact or as medical advice. I've not treated any of the celebrities presented here.

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sculptra is FDA-approved for cosmetic use


I've been waiting for this for a couple years. The FDA has finally approved Sculptra for the correction of facial wrinkles. It will now go by the name Sculptra Aesthetic. Sculptra is the best injectable filler (poly-L-lactic acid) to return volume to the face. It has been approved for treatment of HIV-related facial wasting since 2004, but many plastic surgeons have used it off-label for general cosmetic use.

I have been using Sculptra for a couple years now, and have been very happy with the results. Second to fat grafting, I think it is the best way to add 3-dimensional volume to the face. Usually a minimum of three treatments is necessary, each approximately 6-8 weeks apart. The only drawback is the rate of granuloma (small inflammatory nodule) formation, which is definitely higher than other traditional fillers like Restylane and Juvederm, but still remains acceptably low if properly performed. I've been using it more and more, especially in the past several months. I think this product will be a hit.

For more information on Sculptra Aesthetic, click here.

Thanks for reading.
Michigan-based Plastic Surgeon
Anthony Youn, M.D.
:

5 comments:

Antonia Rosina said...

A friend of mine (now sadly departed) had Sculptra injected for his facial wasting. It worked brilliantly. I have Radiesse injected into my NL troughs (congenital issue with my upper jaw gave me huge trenches there) and it also works very well. I'm a little leery about the granuloma problem as I don't think my injector is as experienced with this product as you.

Anonymous said...

Would you ever use Sculptra under the eyes ? I read about the Tyndall effect with the hyaluronic acid fillers. I am very pale so discoloration would be very noticeable.

Anonymous said...

i think the picture shows a dramatic result. any estimates on the cost?

Imran Khan said...

We welcome its approval. Does any one has any clear information on the possible side effects? If so, please share it on the blogs or give the link to the blog

Anonymous said...

I had also a Sculptura treatment, very much like the pictures shown above. I'm extremely happy with the results, it looks way more natural than other silicone based fillers. HIV related facial changes can cause heavy emotional problems for an individual. Sadly HIV is still a heavily stigmatized disease. I need to say that it needs several treatments to get to the desired result. The treatment itself is relativly painless, but the initial volume of the filler will diminish after a few days of the first treatment.