The Premiere Site For Celebrity Plastic Surgery By A Real Plastic Surgeon

I'm a Michigan-based Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has been featured on Dr. 90210. The info here is my opinion alone and should not be taken as fact or as medical advice. I've not treated any of the celebrities presented here.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Sheryl Crow



I heard today that Sheryl Crow is being treated for breast cancer. I am a big fan of hers, and had the pleasure of seeing her perform at the American Music Awards in 2004. Apparently she is undergoing breast preservation therapy (the cancer surgeon cuts out the tumor but leaves the rest of the breast intact) combined with radiation therapy postoperatively. This allows the patient to keep most of her breast, and hopefully have a better cosmetic result than a mastectomy.
One in nine women will have breast cancer in their lifetime. Most of these can be found early and treated using breast self-exams and mammograms. A screening mammogram should be taken at age 35, with yearly mammograms after age 40.
There are a number of female pop stars who have survived or are fighting breast cancer (such as Melissa Etheridge, Kylie Minogue, and Olivia Newton John (my favorite), so Sheryl is in good company. I wish her the best.

No comments: