The Premiere Site For Celebrity Plastic Surgery By A Real Plastic Surgeon

I'm a Michigan-based Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has been featured on Dr. 90210. The info here is my opinion alone and should not be taken as fact or as medical advice. I've not treated any of the celebrities presented here.

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Hydrelle - New Hyaluronic Acid Filler with Lidocaine


Coapt Systems, makers of the Endotine device which I use for browlifts, has recently announced FDA approval for their hyaluronic acid filler Hydrelle. What makes Hydrelle significant is that it is one of the first FDA-approved hyaluronic acid fillers that contains lidocaine, an anesthetic. Therefore, Hydrelle may be less painful to inject.

According to the company's press release:

Hydrelle represents an attractive value for patients seeking a safe and cost-effective filler option, since patients only require approximately 50% of typical injection volumes, thus requiring fewer syringes to fully correct facial wrinkles. Hydrelle also represents a significant opportunity for aesthetic professionals to expand their respective practices by offering patients an advanced, long-lasting dermal filler with an affordable price, particularly during volatile economic times.

It seems there is a new hyaluronic acid filler on the market every month. Currently in my practice we utilize Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, and Prevelle Silk. In the past I've also used Hylaform and Hylaform Plus. In my opinion, adding lidocaine to the injection isn't that big a deal. Prevelle Silk has lidocaine in it as well.

Overall, I've been very happy with the selection of fillers I utilize. My only complaint is the price. If a company can make a long-lasting (one year or so) filler at half the cost of current fillers then they'd have a huge fan in myself. I'm not a proponent of permanent fillers.

Thanks for reading.
Michigan-based Plastic Surgeon
Anthony Youn, M.D.
:

3 comments:

Antonia Rosina said...

I have Juvéderm in my NL folds, which appears to be the same thing. The lidocaine really does stop it from hurting, and almost instantly too.

Michael C. Pickart, M.D., F.A.C.S. said...

Dear Dr. Youn,

I had been using Elevess, along side Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Restylane, Perlane, etc. Elevess was particularly useful at the oral commissures, where it's hard to obtain adequate anesthesia, even with dental blocks.

So glad to hear that Elevess is back, albeit with a new name--Hydrelle. All patients deserve a customized approach to their facial rejuvenation, and Hydrelle may find a place in your armamentarium too.

Sincerely,
Michael C. Pickart, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't lidocaine take some time to take effect?? Sorry, but I want to be a bit numb BEFORE the filler is injected, not after. :-)