The Premiere Site For Celebrity Plastic Surgery By A Real Plastic Surgeon

I'm a Michigan-based Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has been featured on Dr. 90210. The info here is my opinion alone and should not be taken as fact or as medical advice. I've not treated any of the celebrities presented here.

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Fullness In, Tautness Out - Old News?

The Early Show on CBS had a segment this morning explaining the "new" trend in plastic surgery: Adding volume instead of just lifting. They explained that adding fullness to the cheeks is a key component of reversing aging and creating the most naturally youthful look possible.

Is this old news? When I did my aesthetic surgery fellowship with Dr. Richard Ellenbogen five years ago, the importance of volume enhancement in facial rejuvenation was the most important thing he taught me. We even published an article in the Aesthetic Surgery Journal about it, entitled the Volumetric Facelift. Click here for the article.

I strongly agree that adding fullness into a face is an extremely important part of reversing aging. I teach my patients that aging is a 3-Dimensional process. The best methods for volume addition are surgical facial fat grafting or nonsurgical Sculptra injections (not approved by the FDA for general cosmetic use). These are some of my favorite procedures to perform, as the results can be very natural and very powerful.

Thanks for reading.
Michigan-based Plastic Surgeon
Anthony Youn, M.D.
:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I strongly agree that adding fullness into a face is an extremely important part of reversing aging

Anonymous said...

I know this is a little off the subject but I didn't know where else to post this. Is it possible to transfer fat from elsewhere on your body to your breasts, instead of going through with actual implants? If so, will it have a lasting result?
Love love love your blog by the way!! Doctors who ONLY see dollar signs when they see a patient are not fit to be 'doctors' in the first place. That's obviously not the case here Dr. Youn. You definately deserve that recognition!

~Marie~

Dr. Tony Youn said...

Anon-
Thanks for your kind comments. Fat grafting to the breasts is a valid, but controversial way to enhance the breasts. The concerns about this procedure center around its possible effects on mammographic screening for breast cancer. The jury is still out on this one. I perform it rarely on those patients who are not candidates for actual breast implants. Thanks for reading.