The Premiere Site For Celebrity Plastic Surgery By A Real Plastic Surgeon

I'm a Michigan-based Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has been featured on Dr. 90210. The info here is my opinion alone and should not be taken as fact or as medical advice. I've not treated any of the celebrities presented here.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Acupuncture Facelift?? Now I've Heard Everything!


An interesting article in Yahoo News describes a facelift being performed by acupuncture. Practitioners claim that it stimulates collagen production, lifts sagging skin, and is as effective as Botox.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!

But seriously, I know very little about this, although my mother has been trained in acupuncture and acupressure. She's used it on me on more than one occasion with variable results. I do believe there is real validity to some of its benefits which cannot be explained by science. That being said, I've never seen actual results from Acupuncture Facelifts, and would be interested to see some before-and-after photos. In the meantime, I will stick with actually putting something into the needles I poke a person with. If any readers have anecdotal stories about this, feel free to share.

Thanks for reading.
Michigan-based Plastic Surgeon
Anthony Youn, M.D.
:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did get an acupuncture Brazilian butt lift. The only lasting result was my sore ass.

Anonymous said...

I have no experience with acupuncture to improve my facial appearance, but I did have extraordinary success using it for a leg injury. I disliked the Chinese doctor and she couldn't stand me plus I had absolutely no faith in the procedure.

The first treatment did nothing. It was expensive and insurance wouldn't cover it but I decided to go back for a second try. It worked. My pain had been crippling and immediately after the second treatment which involved not just needles but electrodes, I was pain free and I've been so for several years.

I would love to get rid of my two vertical forehead lines (the elevenses) but I'm not willing to use Botox. Perhaps I'll try acupuncture and, if I do and if it works, I'll tell you all about it.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog..

Anonymous said...

I just called Dr. Bing Lin, an acupuncturist whose office is steps away from my apartment. I told him about your query and he said that acupuncture face lifts take from six months to a year; you have to be treated on a weekly basis; and it ends up being very costly and less effective than traditional plastic surgery.

I'm going to make an appointment to discuss treatment with him since I am not willing to have surgery or use Botox or fillers. And, I know that this sounds obnoxious, but I was a great beauty in my youth and although I'm not trying to recreate my young face, I see no reason why I have to look at baggy eyes when I pass a mirror.

Charles Downey said...

According to Henry Kissinger's biographer, interest in acupuncture started when Nixon and Kissinger went to China in the early 70s. Nixon's press agent had an appendicitis attack. Instead of passing the gas, Chinese doctors used acupuncture to block the pain during the operation. The American visitors were all flabberghasted.