The Premiere Site For Celebrity Plastic Surgery By A Real Plastic Surgeon

I'm a Michigan-based Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has been featured on Dr. 90210. The info here is my opinion alone and should not be taken as fact or as medical advice. I've not treated any of the celebrities presented here.

Saturday, March 06, 2010

Instant Dimples - The Newest Fad Surgery?


There is an interesting article on MSNBC.com that focuses on a fringe plastic surgery procedure: dimple creation. Yes, there is a surgery to create dimples, and it works pretty well. Contrary to popular belief, it's not a new procedure, as plastic surgeons have been performing it for years. According to the article, the procedure costs between $2000-$5000. A quote from a doctor I know well:

Dr. Ellenbogen, who says he’s been performing dimple-plasties for 30 years, says it’s not a particularly common request.
“I get maybe four requests a year and three of the four I talk out if it because they’re doing it for the wrong reason,” he says.


The procedure basically entails making an incision through the inside of the cheek (in the mouth) and using a suture to connect the skin with a deep muscle in the cheek. This creates scar tissue which will cause the skin to indent when smiling, hence creating a dimple. I've had a few requests for this procedure over the years, but it really is pretty darn uncommon.

I was never really big into dimples until my daughter was born with one.

Thanks for reading.
Michigan-based Plastic Surgeon
Anthony Youn, M.D.
:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you do a post on how Snooki from Jersey Shore could improve her appearance with plastic surgery? I think a chin implant could balance out her face. As for her body, maybe lipo would help, but I wonder if the fat would just redeposit itself in the old places.

Your Receptionist said...

A well-placed paper grocery bag would do wonders for her appearance and at a fraction of the cost of surgery.