The Premiere Site For Celebrity Plastic Surgery By A Real Plastic Surgeon

I'm a Michigan-based Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has been featured on Dr. 90210. The info here is my opinion alone and should not be taken as fact or as medical advice. I've not treated any of the celebrities presented here.

Thursday, March 04, 2010

An Internal Bra for Breast Lifts?



Physicians overseas have begun using various types of internal bras to help with breast lift surgery. One of the most frustrating things about performing a breast lift is that no matter how high a surgeon may lift a breast, gravity always takes hold and eventually causes that breast to droop once again. Because the only thing that keeps a lifted breast from drooping is the quality of the skin and breast tissue, it's inevitable that every lifted breast will gradually sag with time, especially if implants are involved.
Knowing this, plastic surgeons in Europe and South Africa are working on implantable internal bras to help prevent breasts from sagging after breast lifts. The devices are similar to the mesh used to prevent hernias from recurring, and basically act as a hammock for the breast. These products do have some merit, in my opinion, but unfortunately it's going to be quite some time before we see them in the States.
For more information, check out the following article from the NY Daily News.

4 comments:

Perky said...

Why don't Drs use fraxel lasers on the skin from the neck down to increase the collagen in the skin to support the breast. Yes, it won't last forever, but it seems less invasive to me.

Just wondering...

plastic surgeon houston said...

Why are they not being used in the States? Are they not FDA approved? Were any clinical trials done on these internal bras?

Procrastinator Extraordinaire said...

I have to disagree with your prediction that it will be quite some time before implantable mesh makes it to the US. I personally have such a device implanted in my breasts. Though they're not yet FDA approved for this purpose, my mesh slings were placed by a board-certified plastic surgeon in the U.S. three years ago. I don't know if this is hugely different from using them to achieve a lift, but mine were placed to correct severe bottoming out of submuscular implants. Since having the mesh placed, my crease and my implants have stayed exactly where they should. I'm being explanted this summer (unrelated reasons) and I was surprised to learn that my explanting surgeon (not the one who placed the slings) has explanted several women with the mesh slings in place.

Even if there is a big difference between using mesh for bottoming out and for creating a lift for natural breasts, I would think mesh implants for lifts can't be THAT far off.

Anonymous said...

It cannot feel good to have these things inside your body. Are women that fearful of sagging breasts??? It's not like they're a health problem!